How to Use Federal Lands

To create an exceptional capital for Canadians, the NCC coordinates the use of all federal lands in Canada’s Capital Region.

Anyone wishing to undertake a project on federal lands or buildings in the region needs to apply for a federal land use, transaction and design approval. An environmental assessment is often required during this process in order to evaluate the potential environmental effects of a proposed project. To obtain the right to use NCC lands, you will also need an easement or a license of occupation.